AppleThere will be a big increase in production
- Trendforce said in a press note that total iPhone production will grow 12.3 percent year-on-year to 223 million units in 2021. The increase in COVID-19 vaccinations and the easing of lockdowns in the US and Europe are believed to be the main drivers of the development.
- Of the total production, the iPhone 13 (or iPhone 12s) model is estimated to account for about 39 percent. This suggests that Apple may produce over 86 million iPhone 13 units this year.
Regarding the specificationmany new things came out
- Apart from the production forecast, Trendforce has predicted some key specifications of the iPhone 13 series. The new model is said to be considered “as an extension of the iPhone 12 series”, with “some upgrades”.
- According to the market research firm, these upgrades will include an A15 processor based on TSMC’s 5nm+ process, a shrunken notch due to the reduced size of the sensor housing, and a 120Hz refresh rate on the two Pro models in the series.
- All models in the iPhone 13 family are also expected to upgrade to sensor-shift stabilization – optical image stabilization (OIS). Trendforce also mentioned that only the Pro models in the series will come with LiDAR sensor.
- This contradicts some recent reports that suggested a LiDAR sensor on all models of the iPhone 13 series. In addition, the iPhone 13 Pro model is expected to sport a six-piece lens and ultra-wide cameras with autofocus support.
Listen to them too Apple! 74% users want a new name for iPhone 13, 18% have superstitions about 13
Expected to be priced similar to iPhone 12 model
Despite the changes, the iPhone 13 series is predicted to be in line with the iPhone 12 models in terms of their pricing.
“Even though prices of some key components have increased due to supply constraints, Apple is taking into account the increase in peripheral services revenue in relation to the increase in iPhone sales,” Trendforce said. “This means that the starting price of the upcoming iPhone series will be relatively equal to the starting price of the iPhone 12 series.”
Less expected to get 1TB model
The firm also said that due to maintaining the same pricing, the iPhone 13 series is expected to have the same memory options as the iPhone 12 models. This suggests that there will be no 1TB model as predicted earlier.
The company can also launch mini variants
- Similar to the iPhone 12 family, the iPhone 13 series is expected to have four different models this year, with a new mini version of the iPhone that could be called the iPhone 13 mini or the iPhone 12s mini.
- However, Trendforce believes that Apple will focus on promoting and driving sales of the three non-Mini models in the series, rather than any major focus on the Mini version. This could be due to the poor sales performance of the iPhone 12 mini which has been reported in the past and is on the verge of discontinuing production as a result.
- The share of 5G models in the overall iPhone production of the iPhone 13 series is expected to increase from 39 per cent in 2020 to 75 per cent in 2021, the report said. Apple started its journey in the 5G world with the iPhone 12 models that came with 5G support last year.